Monday, September 14, 2015

Who Doesn't Love Door Knocking

Malo family & friends! 


(Flatmates and STLS)
What a lovely week in Emu Plains! I had the privilege this week of getting to spend the day with Sister Mapuhi on trade offs. I am always so excited for a trade off because it's an opportunity to evaluate the goals that I have for the area and myself.  

Sister Mapuhi and I had a full day and we were so excited about the people we were going to see. But we had one of those days where EVERYTHING falls through. Lol, no really like I mean everything.When everything fell through, we felt prompted to knock a certain area. Each door we went to, the rejection was more harsh then the next. 

After each door, we laughed and talked and wondered "Why did Heavenly Father need us to knock that door?"

Then we realized it was time to go by and see one of our investigators. As we drove to her house, the GPS broke and took us the most ridiculous backwoods route. Again, we laughed and wondered why these things were happening.

When we arrived late at Nancy's house. It was clear that no one was home...again. But we decided we would get out of the car and show the faith to just try. Between the two of us, I think we rang the doorbell about 7 times. We just really wanted something to work out. We finally accepted that no one was home, and began to walk back to the car. When suddenly Nancy pulled up and ran out of the car to greet us.
She was so happy to see us and we ended up being there at the perfect time. We were able to help her pack up her car which she couldn't have done by herself and then she invited us in to share a message with her.

As we taught her about the restored gospel, tears filled her eyes. "I just can't believe how happy I feel when I talk to you girls. You have so much light."

She then went on to tell us all about how her husband had been reading the pamphlet we gave her last time we came and how he hasn't been to church in years but was asking Nancy if they could go to our church.

As Sister Mapuhi and I left Nancy's house, we couldn't express how joyful we felt! We were so grateful for Heavenly Father's timing. He had a purpose in having us face all that rejection, every door we knocked brought us closer to Nancy. 

At the end of the day, Sister Mapuhi asked me "How do you stay so happy even when you have a day like this morning?"

I shared with Sister Mapuhi that before I came on my mission, Heavenly Father had really prepared me to measure my success not by outward results, but by my sacrifice.

The joy that I feel from this work is not just in those sweet moments like with Nancy. It's every moment that I get to spend sacrificing side by side with the Savior of the world. I know that He cries for these people, that He worries for these people, and that He feels joy for these people just as Sister Eteaki and I do. 

"The greatest yardstick of success is to see how closely we can walk each moment in His steps." Ezra Taft Benson.

I know that this is true. I know because each day, as I strive to live like the Savior, no matter what happens, I feel joy. 

If the Creator of the Universe faced rejection, temptation, afflictions, and more than plenty of hard days, Then of course, while doing His work, I will face these things too. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? (D&C 122:8)

But I can testify to you Brothers and Sisters, that true joy comes only through living as closely to the Savior as you can. It is not always easy, but it is always worth it.

I invite you all to be prayerful as you try to keep the covenants you have made, especially to always remember Him. Please always remember what that means and I can promise you true peace will enter your lives as you strive to keep that covenant. 

WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS!!!!!!


Sister Froemming (mama) and Sister Eteaki (pepe)
Pepe is Tongan for baby!!

-I had a wonderful week with my pepe (Sis E.) We laugh together, we cry together, we eat heaps together. I love her.

-Spending the day with a Tahitian (Sis Mapuhi).

-Eating poly food thanks to Sister Eteaki, Brother Burgess, and Sister Piutau. Green banana and coconut cream for days.

-Success with contacting heaps of formers. YAY!

-Being in the most, wonderful, funniest flat in the mission. 

​hope you all have an AMAZING week!
Ofa atu
Love SF

No comments:

Post a Comment